HAIR SECRETS! HAIR TRUTHS!
I could go on and on with what I’d like to change on my body. But that’s not healthy. So, here are the 4 things I get complimented on the most:
- my eyebrows
- my long nail beds
- my smile
- my hair
I have no idea what I’m doing with any of these. No one taught me how to do my hair or how to do my makeup. My mom used Clinique. I bought Clinique. When girls were crimping, I crimped. And I’ve only cut my hair short, short twice. Once in 4th grade to get the lead in a play. And once for my high school graduation. After high school, I had NO idea how to style short hair, so I grew it back out.
I played with color from sophomore year of high school till Sept. 2011 before moving to Hawaii. I went 3 years without highlighting it. And then added low lights before my wedding. And then brighter highlights a year ago. My hairdresser extraordinaire all those years – Jenny Alida from Unity Salon in Fullerton.
I’m back to the idea of not touching it, but I wanted to make it look nice before growing it out. So I made an appointment at Paul Mitchell Costa Mesa with a student ready to graduate. I asked for a light ombre to blend my highlights. It was $40 +tip and the teachers were always there to supervise (it’s a full day activity. they do it by the book and that takes some time). Win.
So, what I use. I’ve tried a few different things. Spent tons of money on Biolage. Spent a few bucks on Suave. And everything in between. But I’ve found what works for me – what keeps my hair healthy and growin’. It’s not as eco-friendly as I’d like it to be but here it is anyways:
- JOHN FRIEDA Sheer Blonde
- I used this the first few weeks after I dyed it so it wouldn’t get brassy. And then whenever it starts looking orange.
- L’OREAL PARIS Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo and Conditioner
- L’OREAL PARIS Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Damage-Erasing Balm
- After the shampoo and conditioner, I put a little on the hair starting from the nape of my neck to the tips.
- AVEDA Light Elements Smoothing Fluid Lotion Lissante
- After towel drying, I run it through the bottom half of my hair to the tips.
- ORGANIC COCONUT OIL (not pictured)
- I lather it in my hair before and after surfing. Definitely helps with knots. AND it’s super good (and eco-friendly) for your hairs ;)
HOW I STYLE MY HAIR
It’s pretty easy. It takes a shorter amount of time than straightening it.
- After using all those products up there, I let my hair air dry.
- My hair totally dries up if I use the blowdryer and it’s just not the same softness.
- I part my hair right down the middle and put it over my shoulders.
- I use a Conair Instant Heat 1″ Curling Iron.
- From the left side, I take a piece from the back, clamp (?) about 3/5ths of the way up?, and roll out (not in).
- I do that until I finish that side.
- I’d do the same thing on the right side but remember to roll out (not in).
- After, I’d shake it out.
- Rat it up.
- AND I’M DONE!
- I rarely blow dry and/or straighten my hair. I don’t curl it often. I get it trimmed and a do a deep conditioning every 10-16 weeks (probably should do that more).
Obviously, I’m not a hair stylist. I don’t know the terms. I’m sure there are more products and treatments out there. But I dig my hair routine ;)
LONG HAIR, DON’T CARE