2015 is going to be nuts! In what way? Trevor takes his chief’s exam mid January. He finds out the results in March. Packages go out in April. And results are announced in July. Orders are open March through May. Trevor then decides if he stays in the military based on the orders options. If he doesn’t, he gets out of the military officially December 15th. He decides if he stays in Hawaii or returns to CA for school using the GI Bill. He can apply to HPSP and/or USUHS (military pays for him to go to medical school and then he owes time back). This is life changing stuff right here. I on the other hand sometimes feel like I have to cater to his career goals and mine are on the back burner. But in 2014, I made sure to work on ME. I took classes at UH in some of my favorite hobbies, I met new people and hung out with them, and I did a lot of self reflection. In 2015, I want to keep growing. Maybe I’ll try to get my masters (I know I keep saying that but it’s difficult not knowing how long we’ll be on island). Maybe I’ll get some sort of certification. Maybe I’ll get a completely new job (hello, Aloha Salads!!). Or maybe I’ll be a stay at home MOM (the best job in the world!). In any case, I’ll support my husband while also thinking about my wants and needs.
- I want us to go to Lanai during Valentine’s Day weekend (like last year in Molokai).
- I want to meet up with my family again Kauai. Or Big Island. Wherever my parents plan their vacation.
- I want to go to Australia (to site see. dive with great whites. dive the Great Barrier Reef. hold a koala. etc.) AND Tahiti (relax in paradise. dive and snorkel clear, blue water with reef sharks and sting rays. dive with whales.) for another 22 day honeymoon anniversary (that’s a thing, right? ;))
- I want to go to Thailand during Fall or Thanksgiving break (like last year in Palau).
- If Trevor gets out of the military, I’d like us to live in Europe for 3 months to a year (a girl can dream and I’m slowly convincing him to GO BIG! and not go home…)
- If he stays in, we’ll go to CA for Christmas break and hopefully #PhillaceRoadTrip2015 to Oregon or South Dakota (I have a small obsession with seeing Mount Rushmore) or somewhere new.
- I want to read a book a month. This is hard for me since I spend most of my time surfing, hiking, diving, taking pictures, scrapbooking, etc. And when I’m not doing those things or working, I’m sleeping. I need to make time. Maybe after work, I’ll take a blanket and chair to the beach and read. Or maybe I’ll go for a run. Take a shower. Eat dinner. And read in bed (instead of watch Bob’s Burgers on Netflix – that’s going to be hard..). I’ll try and blog about what books I read or add it to this post later.
- Because I’m tired of my dentist telling me to do it more often.
- I want to see every award winning/nominated film in 2015. And if/when I finish that, go back to 2014’s movies.
- See epic concerts (surprise Jack Johnson and Paula Fuga set fingers crossed).
- I LOVE being creative. I want to keep up with Project Life, Instagram Blurb books, Apple vacation books (for the parents), slideshows, home videos (like this and this), and anything else I want to make.
- Drink a ton of water. every. single. day. And quit coffee and Diet Coke cold turkey. for good.
- Eat clean. Eat out less.
- Learn/practice composting.
- Play the uke more.
- Be conscious of all purchases.
- Get fit. Join Crossfit.
- Join a canoe club and paddle from Molokai to Oahu.
- Aloha run with Trevor (wishful thinking).
- Further my education (in anything!).
- Volunteer with a group I believe in (Kokua Hawaii Foundation, Surfrider, Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii, etc.).
- I want to become a better photographer. I loooove taking photos. There are a few things I want to do in relation to these topics.
- Classes – I want to keep taking classes with UH Manoa’s Outreach Program.
- I want to go on photo walks with people. I’ve met some pretty cool people in class. And I love learning from them.
- Goals – Things I want to capture. I want to learn how/get better at taking photos of..
- Underwater Sea Life
- Outdoors with flash
- I want to learn how to correctly edit a photo.
- I want to learn how to use a jib (haha) and get familiar with videography.
- I want to learn how to design stuff for my blog and Project Life.
- I want to learn how to manage my blog through WordPress.
- AND LASTLY, I would liiiiiike to upgrade my equipment. These are expensive hobbies. And will only make purchases when I feel like I’m ready.
The Better Baby Book Lifestyle
- We are considering getting pregnant this year. And before we do, there are a ton of things I want to prepare for. I plan on getting more into depth on these topics later down the road.
- Diet – Thank you, Hawaii. You’ve introduced us to some pretty cool people (Auntie, Uncle, Easton, Joe, Kelsy, and Myke) who are raising their children to love healthy, organic, non processed foods, vitamins, and minerals. You’ve also introduced us to a very conscious community (down with Monsanto, haha). We’re going to try and stick to it. It’s suggested that we prepare 6 months to a year before getting pregnant. So, there’s our possible timeline.
- EMFs – Limiting EMFs is a must for me. It’s so crazy that planes, cars, basically every shop out there offers wifi without really understanding the effects. We plan on turning off our wifi when it’s not being used (especially when we sleep), rarely use our cell phones and laptops, and so much more.
- Exercise/Meditation – I plan on exercising at least 30 minutes a day, even if that means taking a walk around the neighborhood. And because my job’s pretty stressful, I need a new outlet to release my frustration. I plan on taking participating in a Hot Yoga Teacher Training Program in Kailua along with tons of surfing, hiking, and all that Oahu goodness.
Finally, I want to MINIMIZE, SIMPLIFY, NOT BE WASTEFUL, BREATHE, BE HAPPY, AND ENJOY EACH DAY. I am thankful for my family, my friends, and my health. Looking forward to the challenges turned adventure in 2015!!
*And here’s 2014’s New Year’s Resolutions Review!